Monday, September 19, 2011

Adam Benson


Born and raised in Rehoboth Beach Adam Benson is one of the best skaters to come out of Delaware.   Adam lives in  California now.  He is a professional skater and avid surfer.  When he is not skating or surfing you can find him playing music with his band.    
Name: Adam Thomas Benson
Nickname: Delaware Adam 
Age: Getting too old
Weight: Don't worry about it
Stance: Crazy leg (regular)
Home Town: Rehomo Beach!
Home Break: Henlopen or poodle
Board: 8.375 Scum 
What have you been up to ? Skating too much, falling alot, partying and teaching English. Neglecting this interview for too long as well. 
Going back time,what made you start surfing and skating? how old where you? My pops, Bruce Benson, the living legend rock star tile man, is who I credit for the influence of everything, surfing, skating, playing music. He's the man. I don't remember it, but I've heard stories about him shaping skateboards in the bathroom when I was really young. And putting swirls in the fiberglass. 
I also have to credit my older brother Luke for getting me on board. He skated before I did and he took us all over the place and gave me a good reference point in terms of terrain and style. I wish we were skating together right now. 
I think I started surfing when I could swim on my own, and I got my first skate when I was 8. Almost 20 years deep. That's too long.
When did you know you wanted to be a professional skater?
When I realized that work is for the birds.
Who is part of your skate crew?
Current: Hard Rocking Al, The Iceman, Tubesteak Jake, other SF heads.
Forever: Luke, Colin, Wack Zak, Danny Provolone, Confessor, Bud Baum, those who kept it real (at least in the past).
why do you love skateboarding?
It's fast and it hurts, and I don't need anyone else to have a good time. No teams, no time schedule. Also, sometimes skateboarding involves not skateboarding. It's everything. 
What is your life motto?
Currently, living it fast.
who do you look up to?
My mom and dad, of course. They supplied my siblings and I with an amazing life while working extremely hard and I am forever grateful. 
Also, I look up to anyone to still skates/surfs despite age and injury. Bud Baum is 50 and still slams at fdr on a regular basis. I hope I can walk when I'm 50 (or be alive at least).
What are some of the goals you would like to achieve?
I'd really like to take my teaching career overseas for a few years, get a taste of the world, skate some new stuff. I'm seriously considering going back to Barcelona if I can land a teaching job there.
Other than that, skate and play music as long as I can.
Funniest experience this year?
Almost getting hit by a car and having my board run over, on my way to work, two days in a row. No lie. The second day the guy gave me 40 bucks, so that was cool.
Your favorite skaters?
Wack Zak, Omega Herbert, Bud Baum, Philthy Phil
best surf session ever?
Last October in Rehoboth with Sean Wood. Was the storm name Claude? One of the best barrels of my life.
best skate session ever?
Any curb session with the buds and some cold ones.
worst wipe out?
My 24th birthday at steamer lane. Two wave hold under, way too close to the cliff. I wanted to be skating bordertown at the time. Thanks Colin.
favorite place to skate?
Where do the pirates skate? F D RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
favorite trick to do?
frontside grind or butt slide
street, park or pool?
any, unless the pool is gonna be gone soon.
heard you have a band?
ROCK BOTTOM. We have a face page I think. Check it out. "Like" us. 
your thoughts on Delaware skate scene?
It seems to be a lot radder now than when I lived there. Stoked for the kids that have more than just a curb or walmart ledge to skate. Willy Akers is holding it down hardcore for 5boro, pro board for him soon?
thanks and shout outs?
Mom and Dad of course, Leah, Luke, Colin, Atlan, Amelia, Levi, I love you guys. Kinetic Skate Shop, Scum Skates, all the people that have put up with my shit, all the sf heads who let me stay on their couches while I was finding a place. Everyone in Rehoboth, hit me up if you come out west. And you Gel for doing this with me.
Thanks for the interview Adam, you rock!










No comments:

Post a Comment