Tuesday, August 17, 2010

George Bryan Interview

by Angelica Clemmer




Name:  George Bryan
Nickname: Geo
Age: 35
Weight: 185
Stance: Goofy
Home Town: South Laguna, CA.
Home Break: 10th Street
Board:Exile




Some of the words that describe George Bryan, including being one of the best skimboarders on earth still in the game today are, compassionate, dedicated, role model, leader of the sport, artist, friend and family man.   With his smooth style of skimboarding and his laid back attitude, he has the respect of all skimboarders.  He is one of the most important people in Skimboarding.

What are you doing in Mexico right now?
Directing the webcast for the Quiksilver Pro. It is so beautiful down here in Puerto Escondido, Mexico, and there is just so mush swell in the water. 
How long have you been doing the filming  for the contests?  Do you get to surf and skim?
I started out as a cinematographer with  iTV 360 several years ago. We are a freelance webcast company. Now I am working the switchboard bringing the viewers what they see from our live cameras. This contest we have five cameras, all with replay capabilities. It is great to be able to travel, work, and meet so many cool people.  Yeah, I get to skim and surf.  Yesterday I had one of the best hikes in my life to a secret right hand skim wedge.  The left hand point break has the best sand bar its had in years.  It has been a surreal trip. 
When did you start skimming?
I started skimboarding on records in my living room before I could walk.  I think I was born in the shore breaks of Laguna Beach.
Being one of the best skimmers in the world, who do you look up to?
I actually  look up my mom the most. She was a single parent that raised my brother and I. We had some tough times, but she never let it bring us down. Ever. She taught me a lot about responsibility, appreciation, and caring for my family.
How does a rider excel in skimboarding?  What is the mind frame and what are the physical requirements?
When I learned how to skim, there was not a professional division. I have always just skimmed for the fun of it. I believe that is why I still skim everyday. The requirements are probably most limited to balance and athletic ability. The great part about skimboarding is that waves are free, and many riders are willing to lend their board out to a first timer just to share their stoke.
You are cinematographer. How many skim movies have you made?
About twenty full length DVDs.
What is 10th St. Bros?
A production company that my brother, Bill Bryan, and I started.  We were first motivated to make a skim movie because of the perception that most people had about skimboarding. A perception that skimboarders only spin around the sand on wooden boards. We were doing so much more. Our films quickly gathered a cult following that greatly helped the sport grow. People saw the possibilities, where they could take their riding, and that progression was inevitable. 
Some people say you and your brother are responsible for the Solag skim movement. 
We were definitely not the first skimboarders in Solag. There was a group of core guys that we greatly respected. But the only way to watch them was to live around Laguna. We made videos that people could see from their living rooms anywhere in the world. People began getting into skimboarding from watching it in a movie. They saw how much fun it was and that they may have a good break in their own neighborhood. 
Where are you favorite skimming waves?
My favorite waves are large ones. I mean, I would say that right now I am more into pushing the limits as far as riding the largest barrels. Where perhaps in the past it was more about pushing the limits with technical tricks. But mostly, I really start out by looking at the shape of a wave first.  A good wave at any size will make for a good session.
I know you had some knee injuries.  How are you?  Does it affect the way you ride now?
I try not to think about it when I am riding. But sometimes in the middle of a big air you have some time to think about the risk to reward ratio.  Surgery, rehab, losing money, and missing swells can all be very unpleasant. I stretch well before I ride and make sure to listen to my body when it needs a day off.  I have gone to riding a board with Xtrak traction across the deck of the board for the best grip for my feet.
How much surfing do you do?
Surfing is something that everyone should do. There are so many positive aspects. The amount of surfing I do really changes from year to year, but right now I am definitely excited to get out there when the surf is up.
Whats the name of your latest movie?  What locations and riders are featured in it?  
El Nino is the 2010 release by Tenth Street Bros. It is one of my favorites. The film covers the skimboarding during the 2009/2010, El Nino year. We had swells around the globe that were larger and more consistent than I can ever remember. My brother and I spent a combined 3 months in Mexico chasing waves. The film also includes footage from Hurricane Bill,  which sent the East Coast of the United States its best waves in years. Many people consider a barrel that was ridden by Bill Bryan to be the largest skimboarding barrel in Florida ever. My brother and I also tow into  the largest swell of the year in California. The film combines more great waves, epic personalities, great looking beach goers, and family fun than any before.
Will skimboarding ever be mainstream?
I hope it will not be considered mainstream. That sounds so contradictory to what we do. I think skimming needs to grow with the leadership of longtime members of the skim community. Respect is so important in skimboarding. Without it, you just have a bunch of kids running into each other to get another picture on facebook.
The progression of skimboarding has really exploded with some of the new riders.  Where do you think the future of skimboarding is going in regards to  bigger waves, bigger technical tricks,  remote locations, etc.
Definitely more technical tricks. What I saw as possible on a skimboard while growing up was turns and flips. Now kids start skimboarding knowing that kickflips and 720 shuvits are possible. I know that there is at least one more level of tricks that will be coming soon. Soon, people will be able to do tricks like rodeos, Kerrupt flips, and varial flips back toward the beach. 
Who do you skim with?
I mostly skim with the Solag crew.   I really just enjoy riding with anyone who wants to have some laughs.
Best memories hanging in DE?  Best session?
Oh, the memories. The people in Dewey have always been so cool and willing to help us out, whether it is a board to ride or a home cooked meal. My best session was the first time I skimmed at the Indian River Inlet.  I had heard so many bad things about the waves on the East Coast, and after getting several in-n-outs in my first session, I knew skimming in Delaware was going to stay. 
Will you be coming to the East Coast Skim Championships?
I certainly hope so. I have been invited out by the good people at Alley Oop. Harry Wilson and SKIM USA have done such an amazing job making that contest an integral part of a Delaware summer. Great people getting together for a good cause. I hope the community leaders realize just how important skimboarding is to Dewey Beach. Unfortunately, often times it seems like they don't. The way skimboarders and other good kids are treated by the life guards and police that walk the streets is ridiculous.
Where can we buy your movies?  (your website or others that sell your stuff, maybe surf shops etc)
In Delaware the best places to visit are Dewey Beach Surf and Sport and Alley Oop. But if you don't already, you should be logging on to tenthstreetbros.com and tenthstreetbros on youtube.
Are there any sponsors you would like to thank?
Exile Skimboards, Xtrak, Main Street Surf Shop, Volcom.





Thanks for the interview Geo.


PHOTOS:  Mike Bonnie


No comments:

Post a Comment